Wednesday 25 August 2010

Yellow Bullace and Cointreau Jam


I'm slowly working my way through our mountain of yellow bullace. I bottled a couple of kilos in Rose wine syrup with vanilla, not tried it yet though so let's hope it's nice. Another couple of kilos went into this jam/jelly cross, the rest have been temporarily housed in the freezer to be brought out for future ketchup and cordial recipes.

Yellow Bullace and Cointreau Jam
2 kilos of yellow bullace
sugar and Cointreau - exact quantities in recipe.

I simmered the bullace in a little water, didn't need much as the fruit was very ripe and readily gave out it's juice. Once they were softened I rubbed them through a sieve to remove the skins and stones. This stage is very much down to personal taste/patience levels though. I find it quicker than sifting the stones out by hand and removing the skins reduces the tannic flavour making the final product sweeter. This could be a good or bad thing according to your palate and what you want to use the jam for. If it's needed for a glaze for chicken or sticky ribs for example, the extra tannin would be quite beneficial.

Measure the juice and pulp mixture, for every pint add 1lb sugar and 2tbsp Cointreau. Then boil til setting point is reached and pot up in the usual way. Makes about 10 jars.

The final product is a warm, orange colour (though thanks to the camera situation you'll have to take my word for it. A giraffe is not dissimilar though) and it has a warm, orange tainted flavour too.

5 comments:

  1. lol on the giraffe pic for the post....it would be incredible if your jam had this pattern to it.

    Not sure that I like cointreau...do you taste it in the jam?? Not that I have any yellow bullace...maybe I could use Victoria plums??? what do you think??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it would work with Victoria plums and the Cointreau taste isn't that strong but I don't think you want to buy a £20 bottle if you don't like it! Brandy goes well with Victoria plums though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just dropping in to say how much I love your blog - I've been lurking for a while but my sense of the ridiculous and your random pic of a giraffe in a post about jam making made me laugh out loud!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I'm not just amusing myself - it's always a worry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm making Bullace and Apple Jelly jam this afternoon and tomorrow. I'm hoping it will work ok. I'm doing it to a apple and Damson recipe and adding lemon slices.
    I've never had so many Bullaces in the garden

    ReplyDelete